Full member: AFEPI Ireland
Professional member: Irish Writers Centre
PhD English Literature, BA Arts, MSc Applied Social Research
Training and professional development
- Advanced Copy-editing, The Publishing Centre (London/Dublin)
- Onscreen Editing, Society for Freelance Editors and Proofreaders (Belfast)
- Substantive Editing and Rewriting, The Publishing Training Centre (London)
- Introduction to Copy-editing and Proofreading, Chapterhouse Publishing (distance learning).
French (BA level)
I have 15 years’ experience as a copy-editor and proofreader. Clients include trade publishers, state agencies, academics and researchers.
As a published novelist (Hachette Ireland), I also provide critiquing and editing services to fiction writers, both via the Irish Writers Centre’s mentoring service and my own website, the fiction shed.
My PhD thesis is on the writing of Dermot Healy, and my academic writing has been published in various peer-reviewed journals, including Interdisciplinary Studies of Literature and the Environment (Oxford University Press).
- Academic editing
- Critiquing and editing services for creative writing.
Gill Books, the Irish Writers Centre, the ESRI, the HSE, the Irish Penal Reform Trust, the EU body Eurofound (past), individual writers via the fiction shed.
Examples of work undertaken
Recent proofreading projects include Raised by the Zoo by Gerry Creighton, Breaking the Heart Open by Tony Bates, Perfectly Imperfect by Ellen Keane and From Tip to Top by Peter Murtagh.
Recent copy-editing projects include The Integration of non-EU Migrant Women in Ireland by Amy Stapleton and Responses to Irregularly Staying Migrants in Ireland by Michal Polakowski and Emma Quinn.
Testimonials can be found on the fiction shed website.